Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Better camera

  1. #1
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Alrighty,
    I'm done filming my first movie. And I want to start using a better camera. My old one, an Argus/Cosina has 12-18-24 fps. And that's about it. Oh yah, the 85 filter always stays in cuz it's broken.

    Can anyone recommend any fairly decent priced (meaning cheap) cameras? Um, perhaps something with time lapse, a larger variety of frames per second, black light, fading, and other types of cool gadgets and effects? And good lens ofcourse - non fixed where you can control all the focusing and depth of field.

    I also would like to start using sound. Would a camera with a sync output be best? or a whole separate sound recording system?

    Thanks!!!!!

    Jeff

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    There are about a million posts on this board about sound.
    Look them up. Simple answer: separate system to record sound, like a minidisk.

    State your budget for a new camera, OK?

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Well, um, at the most I guess a couple hundred dollars.

    Jeff

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    That limits your odds of getting one of the top, top Super 8 cameras.
    But there are deals to be made.
    This one, for instance would be a kick-ass starter.
    It's the little brother of the much sought-after Bauer 715-XL-S: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1324300898

    I don't know what it will close for, but I saw one go for around $95.00 once.
    Bid higher though, I can't imagine that would happen again.
    Also, the Nikon Super Zoom can be had for like $15-55 and it's a nice little camera.
    Not a lot of extras, but it shoots at 24fps and has great glass.
    Other than those two, I'd keep my eyes peeled on ebay for a Canon 814-XLS.
    I see them go for cheap sometimes, but not usually.

    Matt Pacini



    ------------------

  5. #5
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    > a couple hundred dollars.

    you can find a canon 814e for that. i have one, and it's a great camera.

    /matt

  6. #6
    ulrichsd
    Guest ulrichsd's Avatar

    Post

    I bought my Nizo 4080 for $250 including shipping. Bought mine From Dr. Peters in Germany, let me know if you want his email.

    I'm curious if anyone has used the GAF cameras someone else posted. It seems like they ran $10-25, plus they had 24 fps and many other features.

    Good luck,
    Scott

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    My first Super 8 camera was a GAF.
    I don't remember the model, but it was a steaming piece of excrement.
    The lens was just terrible.
    I got rid of it, and got the Nikon R-10.
    What a difference!

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •